Who is looking for some delicious heart-healthy side dishes? ❤️
Today we are showing you a great side dish option with a low-carb spin! Tabbouleh, a Mediterranean side dish typically made with the grain bulgur, is a vibrant option to complement any good protein dish, although we commonly make ours with cauliflower for the base. Prep is easy, and it requires no cooking. Let’s get started!
Blend full head of cauliflower in a food processor until it has the consistency of rice. I recommend processing half the cauliflower head at a time, otherwise the bottom gets to fine and top too chunky. Don’t be afraid to use the denser part of the center cauliflower tree. Once blended, set a side in a bowl.
Next, add to the bowl of cauliflower:
- 1 cup of sliced tomatoes (we like the richer, sweeter grape tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 2 green onions finely sliced
- 1/2 of a cucumber (quartered lengthwise and deseeded, then thinly sliced)
- juice of 1 lemon (highly recommend fresh lemon)
- a handful of finely chopped fresh mint (or 1 T dried mint)
- 1/3 cup olive oil to blend
- pepper to taste